Den digitale offentligheten i kultur- og bibliotekpolitikken

Thomas Gramstad thomas at kunnskapsallmenning.no
Thu Dec 10 16:16:24 CET 2020

Hei,

Veldig aktuell ny artikkel (skrevet av folk på UiO og OsloMet) :

Den digitale offentligheten i kultur- og bibliotekpolitikken

     Håkon Larsen
     Per Alexander Solheim

DOI: https://doi.org/10.7146/njlis.v1i2.121791

policy, Norway, digital technology

Abstract

Echo chambers, fake news, filter bubbles and algorithms have been
framed as great threats to our contemporary democracies and
public spheres. In the Nordic countries, the state plays an
active role in sustaining democracy and the public sphere through
culture- and knowledge policies. The Norwegian Government have
over the last years presented a white paper on overall cultural
policy and a library strategy document. Both documents address
the effects of digital technology on democracy, and how culture
institutions in general and libraries in particular can help
sustain our democracies in changing times. In this article, we
study these and preceding documents on culture- and library
policies. We analyze how they address digital technology and how
they see culture- and library policies as providing solutions to
digital threats to democracy and the public sphere. Furthermore,
we study what notion of democracy and the public sphere are
prevalent in Norwegian cultural policies. The results show that
the Government view culture as a remedy against a fragmented
public sphere, and that libraries play a key role as providers of
digital guidance and teaching.

https://tidsskrift.dk/njlis/article/view/121791

--
Thomas Gramstad
thomas at kunnskapsallmenning.no
"People of the future will know only that which we preserve.
[...]
[I]t should be noted that allowing the records of the past to
disappear is a kind of censorship.  Libraries are the collective
archive of human achievement and the knowledge of the ages."
               -- Walt Crawford & Michael Gorman:
         Future Libraries: Dreams, Madness & Reality, p. 11