Knowledge Federation Oslo invites you to join (fwd)

Thomas Gramstad thomas at ifi.uio.no
Tir 20. Sep 2011 00:21:44 CEST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:23:42 +0200
From: Dino Karabeg <dino at ifi.uio.no>
Subject: Knowledge Federation Oslo invites you to join

Dear everyone,

There has been five of us at the 'KF initiation?' meeting yesterday
afternoon, a small group but of the kind of people I like to socialize
and work with, so I felt happy. And we did decide to meet again.

With this letter I invite you to join us. The minimal requirement is
to be ready to dedicate two hours a month to enhancing the synergy
between your professional interests and the larger societal ones. One
specific focus of this group will be the use of new information
technology and media as building blocks to improve larger societal
systems (this has been the main focus of interest of the international
Knowledge Federation). But people who use only paper and pencil to
write about interesting ideas are just as welcome to this group as
computer techies ? use of technology to empower interesting ideas will
continue to be our interest.

I thought of initiating this first meeting when I saw the beautiful
seminar room we have on the 9th floor of our new Ifi building, and
thought that it might provide space for beautiful people gathering
around a beautiful cause. But the main principle of our organization
will be ? self-organization! So please feel encouraged to invite
people (professional, students, friends) you feel should naturally
belong, and to take any other steps towards increasing the prospects
of success of this initiative.  If one day we see that we have
regularly more than 20-30 people which is the max. the room can hold,
we can move to a larger space.

And please feel welcome to propose presentations. I propose to keep
presentations brief (ideally Pecha Kucha style) and to explore the
details in a conversation. In that way we will be able to keep current
with everyone's core preoccupations and ideas.

I am suggesting the name Knowledge Federation Oslo not because this
group should belong to the already existing Knowledge Federation, but
because our focus will be on federating knowledge to increase the
prospects of agile contemporary causes.

Since 'first tuesday' has been taken for a related purpose, I propose
that we meet each third thursday in a month, 3-5 p.m., with coffee,
tea and fruit provided. Official languages will be Norwegian and
English (if someone present is not comfortable with Norwegian, as it
is the custom in Norway).

Stian proposed that meetings should be more frequent and keep a
momentum and flow. We may eventually supplement some of that by using
social media. But for now I propose that we use also the second
Thursday, and meet in Lorry Pub in the center of Oslo, which has a
particularly cosy spot some of us used to meet in and talk for some
time. So each second Thursday 7:30 p.m. the conversation space will be
open to welcome whoever comes.

To join, please send me an email with Knowledge Federation Oslo as
Subject expressing your interest in joining us, and I will include you
into our new KF Oslo Google group. Welcome!

Also pls. let me know if any of the above is unsuitable, and if there
is sufficient agreement we will change it.

-----   brief report from our first meeting ------

Instead of repeating the Prezi talk 'Knowledge Federation - An Enabler
of Systemic Innovation' [1] that I gave last July at Stanford as I
promised, I decided to give a high-level introduction to (what I
perceive as) uniquely exciting (not one but three!) frontiers for
creative work that (Knowledge Federation as community for) systemic
innovation opens up, by showing the prezi 'The Three Frontiers of
Systemic Innovation' [2] that I cooked up early yesterday morning.
Since the 'Enabler' lecture complements this second high-level idea
lecture by showing some of the fine details of our strategic and
technical innovations, I can offer to give it at one of the
forthcoming meetings.

[1] http://prezi.com/2z2eksaaq118/thix-kfintro/

[2] http://prezi.com/q06udsukrpgl/systemic-innovation/

------ Seminar venue details ------------------------

Rm. 9460 is easily accessed from Forskningsparken T and tram station,
enter the tall tower and take elevator to 9th floor. Then call me on
mob. 412 92 049 tel. 22 85 27 02 to escort you in.

Besøksadresse
Institutt for informatikk
Ole-Johan Dahls hus
Gaustadalléen 23 B